Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Gobi Manchurian

This is the first time I am making gobi manchurian. In my early days of marriage when I had just started to cook my husband's neice (now mine too) used to ask me, Aunty can you make gobi manchurian?It was very popular in resturants at that time. But at that time I was not very much exposed to daily cooking, better not to talk about ingredients like soy sauce. So I used to tell her when we go out for dinner we will buy you. After that we left india and it was long forgotten. The other day I was browsing and suddenly came across this recipe for gobi manchurian and tried it. It came out pretty well. But today I don't know whether my neice like it, kids grow up and there taste buds change too. But next time when I visit India she is surely going to get home made manchurian.


Ingredients

Cauliflower – 1
Cornflour enough to make batter
Soy Sauce – ¼ cup
Green chillies – 2
Garlic – 3-4 cloves
Ginger- small piece
Jaggery – small piece
Oil for deep frying
1 cup water for the gravy
Red onions and green onion - cut into small pieces to garnish

Method

Fried florets:

Cut the cauliflower into medium sized florets.
Make batter with corn flour and water. Add a pinch of salt . Dip the cauliflower florets . Deep fry it in oil. When it turn brown take it out and put it on tissue paper.

For the sauce:

Pulse ginger, garlic and green chillies in the mixie.

In a pan, add 2 tsp oil add the ggg paste and saute.
Add water and a small piece of jaggery to it. Then add the soysauce. It will slowly start to get thicken.It will turn dark brown in colour.
Add the remaining corn batter(3-4tsp) to this. If not make some by mixing cornflour and water. Boil it in medium flame and keep stirring. Add little salt to your taste.

Before serving heat the gravy and add the fried cauliflower to it. Garnish it with red and green onions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gobi Manchurian looks delicious, would definitely try it.