Monday, January 15, 2007

Kofta

Koftas are meat ball dumplings in rich gravy. But in todays world vegetarianism becoming very popular koftas are made of all sort of vegetables like long squash(chorakkaya), potatoes, peas,carrots, paneer, cabbage, cauliflower etc. The gravy recipe also varies a lot. The curry I have presented here is a very easy method . Usually I use chorakkaya for koftas since that is my favourite. But this weekend to make it a little different and easy I made koftas with potatoes.


To make Koftas

Potatoes – 2 large
Seasoned Bread crumbs
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying

Pressure cook the potatoes adding little salt. Peel the skin and mash it nicely. Add enough bread crums to hold it together. Mix well and make it into oval balls. Deep fry it in oil.

To make Gravy

Onion – 1
Tomatoes – 1
Badam – 7-8 nos
Ginger- a small piece
Garlic- 3 cloves
Green chillis -2
Coriander and cumin seeds – 1 tsp each
Cardamom – 2 pod bay leaf - 2
Maida – 1 tbsp
Ghee – 2 tsp
Milk – ¼ cup

Cut the onions and tomatoes. Fry it in 1 tsp ghee along with badam, garlic, coriander,cumin seeds and bay leaf. Grind it in to a paste adding ginger and green chillies.

In the same pan add 1tsp ghee. Add 1 tbsp maida. Fry it in low flame . Then add milk. It will start to thicken, at this point add the ground mixture to it . Add ½ cup water, salt to taste and cook it in low flame for 10mnts stirring every now and then.

Just before serving heat the gravy. Add the koftas and Garnish it with coriander leaves.

This is nice with rice and parathas
PS: Insted of milk you can use light cream. It will give more richness to the gravy.
Also you can add 2 tsp rice flour to the koftas if it is breaking while deep frying.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sowram,

Hope u had a wonderful New Year.I haven't been keeping well for a while and only now I'm recovering.I just read the posts which I missed.Haupia looked lovely and its in my must try list.I didn't know Lima Beans was so healthy I have cooked that before.I shall definetly try that one also.

Kofta is something which I have always loved and btw how is chorakkaya known in english?Thanks a lot for sharing your recipes.I made carrot kheer and rava kesari for new year and both turned out well.Thanks once again.

AR

Sowram said...

hi AR,
Thanks and wish you the same.
Chorakkaya is bottle gourd or green long squash in english. You can find this in Indian store in the name of dhudhi or kaddu.

TNL said...

That looks so good...! their shape is perfect...and the gravy looks just like the type in restaurants!

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I tried the potato kofta tonight.Though the balls broke for me ,the taste was perfect like in restuarants.Thanks for the recipe.

Is there any way to get perfect koftas?

Regards,
Kate.

Sowram said...

HiKate,
If the kofta's broke when deep frying ,add more breadcrumbs and 2 tsp rice flour when you make them next time. it will bind it better and crispier.
Also you should not soak it for a long time in the gravy.I usually add the kofta's to the gravy just before serving.