Monday, September 11, 2006

Bhindi(Okra/Vendakka) Masala

Okra also has a name lady's Fingers. It is considered to be 'gooey'. So it it is washed before cutting it and usually lightly fried before using in most of the dishes. In South india Okra is prepared in different ways. When I was small my mother used to feed me saying it will increase my memory power. I used to hate the vegetable. But today I tell my kids the same thing and feed them.


Ingredients

Okra(Vendakka) - 1/2 pound
onion - 1 big
Tomato - 1
Tamarind - small ball
Garlic - 3-4 flakes
Coriandercumin pdr - 1 tsp
Green chillies - 2
Masala pdr - 1 tsp(I use the parampara brand - 1 tsp)
Salt to taste
Oil/ghee -3 tsp

Method

  1. Wash the okra and dry it with a towel.
  2. Cut the Okra into round pieces(not very thin).
  3. Pour 1 tsp oil in Pan. Add the okra.Add coriander- cumin pdr and salt. Just sprinkle some water.Fry it nicely.
  4. Make tamarind juice.
  5. Cut half of the onion and 1 tomato into long thin pieces.
  6. Grind the other half onion adding the masala pdr,green chillies and tamarid juice.
  7. In a pan add the cut onions and garlic(cut finely)when they turn light brown add the tomatoes and the ground mixture and cook it for 5-7 mnts. Then add the sauted okra to it and cook it for another 3-4 mnts.
Eat with hot phulkas.

No comments: