Saturday, October 28, 2006

Kuzhiappam

The English like to have tea with scones . But we Indians eat with some hot snack like samosa,bajji or may be 2 britania biscuits.
But today I decided to make kuzhiappam. It was cold and rainy today. Though I am not a noon nap person today I felt like taking one. I got up around 3 pm feeling little cold. My husband was working from home. When I opened the fridge to take milk for tea I saw some dosa batter.
Immediately I remembered my days with my parents. My father would always ask my mom to make kuzhiappam(we call sometimes it moorappam) on rainy weekeends. She would make crispy appam and we would enjoy it with a cup of tea or coffee.
So back to the present I also decided to make them. Me and my husband enjoyed it with a cup of tea sitting in our deck , starring at the pouring rain. So here I am sharing it with you.



For kuzhiappam

Dosa batter(3-4 days old) – 2 cups
Rice flour – 1 tsp
Onion – 1 small
Green chillies – 1
Ginger – small piece
Pepper(whole) – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Oil for frying

Cut the onions,greenchillies and ginger finely. Coarsely powder the pepper.

Add the above,cumin seeds and rice flour to the dosa batter. The batter should not be too liquid. Add a pinch of salt also to this. Mix well.

Pour oil in the appakkaral. When it is hot pour the batter . Let both sides become light brown and cook. Take it out out put it on tissue paper so that the oil is all absorbed.

For Tea

Boil 2 cups water add 1 tsp tea leaves. Crush a small piece of ginger , 2 cardamoms and 3 tsp sugar(as your taste) to the boiling tea. Off the heat, Close the tea pot and let it stand for 5 mnts . Warm ½ cup milk and add this to the tea water. Strain it. Enjoy it with your favourite snack.

1 comment:

burekaboy — said...

hi there, i found your blog looking for some information. i just wanted to say that i think it is wonderful and you have a wealth of information. :) i hope to try a few of your things in the future!