For the past 4 months I have been following the JFI event started by Indira. This time when Ashwini of Food for Thought came up with the ingredient coconut I thought of taking part too. Moreover being New Year why not start with a refreshing sweet.
Since this is my first time I am entering a very simple but traditional dessert recipe made in Hawaii. It is called Haupia. Haupia is a Hawaiian dessert made from coconut milk. This has a pudding consistency. Usually this is made with coconut milk made from scratch. But since I did not have the time, I made it with canned coconut milk.
Coconut milk - 1 cup
whole milk - 1/2 cup
corn starch - 2 tbsp
sugar - 3 tbsp
finely cut fresh coconut to garnish
- In a pan heat the coconut milk. Keep it in low flame.
- Mix the sugar and cornstarch to it . Stir in so that there are no lumps.
- Cook it till it starts to thicken. At this point add the whole milk to it. Cook it in low flame stirring. It will thicken and will become smooth and shiny.
- When it is thick pour it in a rectangular pan. Let it cool and chill it for 2hrs in the refrigerator till firm.
- For serving Scoop and serve it in a plate. Sprinkle some finely cut fresh coconut.
This recipe serves 4 small cups.