Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Methi Peas Curry

I buy Methi leaves(Fenugreek) at least once a month to make Methi chappathis. My kids always accompany me to the store and they would always remember to take Methi and coriander leaves. They like it since I allow them to pluck the leaves . I tell them who ever plucks more leaf would get a treat. So by the time I done putting all the other vegetables away, they would have separated all the leaves from the stem. So that job is less for me. I keep the leaves in a container in the refrigerator at least for 15-20 days.
The other day I was looking at Indira's site for some Methi recipes and saw her Methi MattarMalai. It looked really mouth watering. But I did not have cream with me. So I made my version with coconut milk. Also my method slightly varies from hers. After all cooking is about trying in different ways. So I am sharing it with you.

Ingredients

Methi leaves – 1 cup
Sweet Peas – 1 cup (frozen)
Potato( cubed) – 1 cup
Coconut milk – 1 cup
Onion- 1 medium
Ginger – a medium piece
Green chillies -1
Cinnamon – small piece
Cloves – 4-5nos
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 tsp

Method

Boil water and put the potatoes. When it starts to cook drain it and keep it aside.

Cut the onion and sauté it in 1 tsp oil. Grind it with ginger, green chilli, cloves, cinnamon and handful peas(for thickness) . Add little coconut milk to make it into paste.

Chop the methi leaves. In 1 tsp oil lightly sauté the peas and methi leaves (for 1 mnt). Add the potatoes and ground paste. Add rest of the coconut milk and salt to taste. Cook it in medium flame for 10 mnts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi sowram,

Excellent recipe.Just licked my fingers and ate nicely with chappatis.Thanks for sharing this recipe.

AR